The town of Pavlovsk holds a special place in the suburbs of Imperial St. Petersburg. In 1777 Catherine II gave more than 1,000 acres of land to her son Paul, who would later become tsar and then die a tragic death as the result of a conspiracy plot. Paul and his wife, Maria Fedorovna, who before her marriage was the Princess of Wurtemberg, were particularly thankful for such a gift as it allowed them to live independently from the powerful Tsarina. This suburb residence of the tsars is much warmer and cosier than the other palaces, as it was not built to host luxurious official receptions, but rather as a place to start a family. Pavlovsk Park is so large in size that it was at one time popular to travel through it not on foot, but on horseback or by carriage. In RTG’s new programme host Timofey Zudin takes a bike ride through the historic Pavlovsk Park.